Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Homemade Fabric Softener

In my quest to live more frugally as well as healthily, I am constantly looking for ways to keep my house clean and tidy without having to buy all the expensive and chemical laden cleaners and products at the grocery store.

Today in my morning email came this link to an article about how to make your own healthier version of a fabric softener. I am getting ready to try this right now!

Who would have thought all you need is vinegar and maybe a little essential oil if you so desire!


I love to hang dry my clothes in the summer, but hate, hate, hate stiff towels and blue jeans! I am going to see if this works. If nothing else it seems according to this article even if you dry your clothes in the dryer, this will keep your clothes from being all staticy!

I was glad to read you can add the vinegar to your downy ball, as I for one don't have the time or desire to watch my wash cycle for the opportunity to drop fabric softener in during the rinse cycle.

I plan on adding some lavender essential oils to mine, hoping to cut down on the vinegar smell, plus I just love the scent of lavender!



If you notice in the article is an ad for the Swifter Wetjet. I love the idea behind it, but hate having to pay for the refills, plus I have to be careful of what chemicals I put on the floor due to my grandsons sensitive skin and eczema. So I talked my husband into getting the lid off the refill container(not easy, but it can be done, if you pop the seal around the lid with a screw driver) and now I refill as needed with vinegar, water, and an essential oil depending on my mood this could be orange, vanilla or lavender, and sometimes even sage. So now we have a healthy and frugal alternative, and I haven't had to buy refills in about two years!

I am working on an idea for the pads, if you have one, please share here!

2 comments:

Super Healthy Kids said...

I have no ideas myself, but i'm excited to try yours. thanks!

Brandy said...

if you haven't found an idea for your pad for the swiffer...you might try cloth diapers