Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Loving, not Judging...

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them.~Mother Teresa"
I just love Mother Teresa and her quotes. She was such a wise, loving and compassionate woman. I thought I was familiar with all of her wise sayings, as I have read just about every book by or about her. Some how this one escaped me until recently. Good timing though.
I am always so quick to complain about how others judge me, but if I am to be brutally honest, I'd have to admit that I too, can be pretty quick to pass judgements as well. I think it is something we are all guilty of to some extent. That is probably why the Bible is full of warnings against being judgmental. My guess is that other religious Holy books make similar warnings.
Monday afternoon I found myself in the Social Services office. UGH!! I hate that place more than you can imagine. Now, there is a place where one can find plenty of persons, things, and situations to pass judgement on. Trust me, I made plenty of my own!
Perhaps some of my judgements were correct, and some of these people were just lazy bums and baby making machines hoping to get a bit more cash or food stamps out of their off spring. I am sure there were plenty there who have figured out how to abuse the system and make a decent living off of it. But wait a minute....!!! Wasn't I there? What could THEIR judgements of me be?? They don't know why I am there. They don't know I am raising a child that is not my own and not receiving child support, so therefore participate in the Kin-ship assistance program to help out with the costs of raising a child that is not biologically mine. How many of the others there could have been in my situation or similar? On this topic itself(public assistance and judgement) a fellow Sonlighter and Blogger wrote an EXCELLENT post far greater than anything I could say or write so I will just direct you there. Please take the time to read it, it is well worth a few short moments of your time.
But what if my judgements of these people WERE correct? Then are they less lovable? Perhaps to you or me, but are they less lovable to God? So if God loves them regardless of their life choices, are we to love them? I believe so. Mother Teresa believed so. That's what I admire about her. She was able to love people right where they were. She didn't ask them what they did that caused them to be a leper on the streets with no family to love or care for them, she just loved them.
I believe that is what we are all called to do. Just love. Don't judge. Much easier said then done I know. That means loving those who are in situations perhaps they put themselves in. That means loving your neighbor who is less than nice, that means loving your own family and those who have hurt you..
It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start.~Mother Teresa
Again, wise words. It is easy to feel love and compassion for the poor hungry orphans in China, or the lepers in India, they are far away. But what about that pesky neighbor or annoying church member. What about the lady with 8 kids in line at the Welfare office with another in the oven? What about the family member who you continue to try to help over and over, yet they continue to abuse drugs and those around them? THOSE are who we are called to love! We aren't to judge them, just love them!
That doesn't mean we set ourselves up to continually be hurt emotionally or physically or robbed blind by them. We set limits and boundaries, but yet we extend genuine love to them. They may or may not love you back, they may or may not change their ways. God isn't going to judge us on whether we won any converts or helped to perform miracles in anothers life, but He IS going to judge us on our ability to love. That's the only judgement we should be concerning ourselves with.... His!

1 comment:

Red said...

I will give you the fact that we should not judge...100%.

But, if even some of these poeple(And I beleive the numbers are higher) are cheating the system. Doing something deliberate to harm others who are more needy, then what kind of person is that.

Would you want to be in the company of that person...invite them to your BBQ?

That is how I determine the makeup of a person. If they are worthy of my backyard anticas, then by all means, let's be friends (Save family, because some fo them are are outright worthless and I still have to invite them to my home UGH!) but of not, then I don't care if you dress form Macy's, I don't want you in my circle of friendship.

Judgemental...maybe, but who do you want around you? The truly needy? That I can deal with, but not those who abuse the system. Sorry.

I am aperson in need and we have applied for everything and gottne nothing. Close to losing our house every month if not for the hlep of my in-laws and yet we do not qualify. Something is wring with this picture.

Sorry for the venting.