Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veni, Veni, Emmanuel

I guess the Christmas Spirit has hit our home a bit early this year! I am kind of a humbug when it comes to the holiday. I wait till well after Thanksgiving to put up the tree, and am anxious the day after Christmas to get rid of the thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the meaning and message of Christmas, I really do. I love celebrating Advent, I love that everybody is in the kind of mood they should be in year round.

I just hate the work, mess and all to pull of a spectacular holiday for all.

Last night though, the spirit hit the house and has yet to leave. In the kitchen I had my 17 year old doing dishes singing O Come, O Come Emmanuel, while the little ones were in the living room bellowing out Hark The Herold Angels Sing!

As if that weren't enough, being the nerds and geeks we are we had to search out O Come, O Come in Latin as well as English! It just sounds way cooler in Latin.

I thought perhaps it was just the mood for some reason last night, but no, they woke up in the morning still singing their songs and searching out yet more versions of O Come, O Come.

I am not complaining, it does my soul good to hear my kids singing songs dear to me, just so long as they don't start asking for the tree and all yet!

1 comment:

Chloe said...

I used to love the tree and all the faldarol (sp?), but now I'm just weary of all of it. Drag the tree out....dust off the ornaments, untangle the lights. Sing, sing, sing, cook, cook, cook, wrap, wrap, unwrap...and then put it all away. It seems so futile after 40 something years.

But Latin Christmas hymns sound good. You are lucky to still have children in the house. And you've inspired me. I'm starting to actually look forward to dragging out that tree.

chloe