Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Walk This Way

Since having to give up Kendo a little over a year ago I have had quite a hard time finding a fitness routine I could stick to. I still faithfully practice Yoga daily, but to keep those pounds off I need aerobic activity as well. While I love hiking or just outdoor walking, to do it with the kids I have to slow down my pace so slow, that I don't really get my heart rate up enough for any calorie burning benefit.

Most regular aerobic DVD's are too rough on my nearly 40 year old left knee that likes to act up from time to time. I also with the exception of Yoga do not really care to sit in front of a TV for my fitness routine, I like it to be more of a natural part of my life such as Kendo was or hiking. But, as the pounds creep back on, I am going to have to settle I suppose.

After trying several aerobic and walking at home videos and just about throwing my knee out for good, I finally found Leslie Sansone's videos, and they are great!!


She has put out far too many to count, and I have tried more than a few and been quite impressed with them all! She has several for beginners, or those who haven't exercised in a while, and several more intermediate and advanced ones as well. She has several that combine strength training as well. These are my favorites!

What I love about these, is unlike other similar programs, they are WALKING programs, based on 3-4 basic steps. Others are more of a complicated dance routine, and I am the least coordinated person there is, I don't need anything so complicated!

She has something for everybody! She has Christian titles(the Walk the Walk series) which I enjoy the upbeat familiar Christian hymns, a great way to start your day, but I find them a bit to slow moving for my physical needs, to more secular titles that just focus on fat burning.

After just a little over two weeks of doing these along with my regular yoga routine, I have lost four pounds and a half an inch on my waist and a whole inch on my hips! I haven't changed my eating habits at all, other than adding in far too many chocolates and other holiday goodies!

One question I get asked alot, is when do I find time for this? Well, I make time! My physical health is too important to not take care of. My mother died rather young of severe heart disease, and I am trying to not follow in those foot steps. So, I get up at 5:15 am every day Monday-Friday and spend a few minutes online, then I go do 30-45 minutes of one of these great walking videos followed by an hour of Yoga. This gets me done close to 8:00 AM about when the kids are all getting up and fussy for breakfast and such. I find if I don't do this first thing in the morning, and put it off for later in the day, it never gets done!

If you find you've put on a few pounds this holiday season(like who hasn't) you may want to give one or two of these a try! I have found many of the titles through my libraries online inter- library loan system, a great way to try before you buy, for free!

No comments: