Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Friday, January 23, 2009

The Taming of the Shrew

There is a very little known fact about me that some may find amusing or odd. No one other than my husband, children and 60 or so women I went on a homeschooling retreat with last summer know this about me.

I am terrified of......butterflies!! I know it seems odd as from what I am told they are harmless. As someone who is known to play with wild snakes, lizards, and other animals that some shirk away from it probably seems that much more odd that a butterfly can send me off running and screaming.

I guess it all started when I was a little girl of four or so. We had a little wading pool in the middle of the courtyard of the apartment complex we lived in. My mom would let me play out there pretty much unattended for hours at a time in the warm summer months(it was a different day and world back then!) Most of the time I was happy and content, but it seemed like without fail at least once every other day or so this giant, humongous, monster butterfly would come flapping it's thee foot wing span my direction!(well, it sure seemed like 3 ft. AT LEAST!) Each time it sent me off screaming and running. This thing was just so huge and seemed intent on landing on me! Not being near me, but ON me!

So, this memory and fear has lasted a life time. I try to suck it up and be brave and get over it, but it's just one of those things I can't let go.

To this day butterflies of all sizes and colors still seem to just want to flock to me! In the spring and early summer months I can hardly go outdoors without a butterfly or two coming my direction and wanting to land ON me!

So, today I am reading a wildlife magazine and there is a feature article on the shrew. I never really ever knew what a shrew was, nor have I ever seen one, but let me tell you, I now WANT one! Guess what they eat??


Oh yeah baby! They eat butterflies!! And they're kinda cute to boot! I think I need one of these, surely they can be tamed to make a fine pet? He'll go with me everywhere!

2 comments:

Karen (KayKay) said...

Tara, I don't mean to laugh at your fears, really I don't...but I am. (sorry) This is one I've never heard!

mideastmom said...

Knowing that you don't do much television, you probably aren't in danger of this, but there is definitely one episode of Fringe that you should *not* watch. =-o

(Am happy to have found your blog, BTW. I'm enjoying skimming through old posts.)