Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Children, A Blessing or a Curse??

The past couple of days I have been seeing this great quote all over the Internet and on some of my favorite blogs:

“The Bible calls debt a curse and children a blessing. But our culture applies for curses and rejects blessings.” ~ Doug Phillips

Then today my 17 year old son found this one:

"I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby," Obama said

Punished? With a baby? Oh my! I really hope president Obama didn't mean it the way it sounds. I have searched the Internet and tried to find it within it's original context, and from best I can make out, he indeed did mean it that way.

Funny, these two quotes would end up in my lap the same time this same thing has been so heavy on my heart and mind. I really feel this is the way many people are feeling these days. More concerning is I don't think anybody really sees anything wrong with it.

So many parents I know, rarely see their children for more than an hour or two a day between schooling, after school activities, TV time, video game time, etc... I read somewhere recently that by the time you deduct all of the above activities and sleeping hours it is realistically closer to 20 minutes a day!

Yet, after spending a whopping 20 minutes a day with their children during the week, many parents are anxious on the weekends to send them off to yet more activities away from home.

I know it sounds harsh, but I wonder why some even bother having children? I am not talking about single working moms or dads here who have no other choices but spend time away while they make ends meet. I am talking about married couples who keep themselves and their children so busy that they avoid spending any family time together at all.

These are the same parents that groan when there is an extra school holiday or snow day as heaven forbid, they HAVE to have their precious darlings home with them all day.

These same families think I'm odd because I actually LIKE being with my kids! I homeschool so therefore am with them pretty much 24/7 and wouldn't have it any other way! Sure there are days I get stressed and our days are anything but pleasant, but overall I truly like my kids and like being around them. After spending our weekdays together when the weekend comes and we head off to activities we intentionally seek out activities we can do as a family. I was blessed with these children, why would I want to send them off all day and night? Yet I am considered the odd one for feeling this way.

It makes me think of an old Staples commercial. I even have to admit it is funny and kind of cute, but the reality is that this is how many parents feel, and I find it sad.



Also sad is the increasingly shrinking families. Although I guess if you're not going to spend time with them, why have them, so maybe it's for the best. I have four at home and by most peoples standards that's alot and we get alot of comments about it. I have friends that have five, six and nine children! I think it's great, yet when I share the great news with others the responses are anything but friendly or kind. "Why would they do that, better them than me,th must be expensive." Now, I don't fault or judge those who make such comments, it's just the way society is programmed to think today, but I do find it incredibly sad. As the quote I opened with said, these people will go apply for more debt(curses) and think nothing of it, yet they will gladly reject any further blessings(children).

These people would rather have a second or third car or hundred dollar sneakers or a bigger five bedroom house for their 1.5 children then to have to worry about the expense of another child. I don't know about that logic, my children are less expensive to maintain that that extra car I do without or a bigger house with a bigger mortgage. I guess it really has to do more with what we value than the true expense.

Herbert Hoover said: “Children are our most valuable natural resource." I believe this to be true, but it is becoming apparent that most of the world doesn't agree.

4 comments:

mary grace said...

I couldn't agree more. THanks for an insightful, truth-speaking post!

jmquilts said...

Very good post, Tara! I agree.

I usually get sad at the back to school hype but for a couple of reasons. One - I didn't like going back to school and all these years later, it still bothers me. And the other - is because I have to hear the moms being so excited to get the kids back in school.

I agree - our children are a great heritage to our land.

Thanks for writing this!

Meghan said...

This is SO great! I was looking up this quote

“The Bible calls debt a curse and children a blessing. But our culture applies for curses and rejects blessings.” ~ Doug Phillips

and I found your blog. I completely could've written everything you wrote. I get the same type of comments, too. I wonder if people with a debt-mindset think of how much debt they've accumulated to make their 1.5 children happy, that if they carried on that type of lifestyle x4 kids (which I have myself) or more.

God bless you & your family!

Mumkins said...

I absolutly agree! Great blog! I too wrote about the staples commercial on my blog, back in the fall. I wrote it is the most wonderful time of the year! I get to begin educating my children again and that I was sad for societies views on children. I found your blog by searching for my favorite quote:)