Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I've Been Experimenting....

With new Yoga videos that is! I seem to have been stuck in a rut of doing the same old videos and routines over and over. After trying the Ali McGraw one I recently posted about, I got motivated to try some others.

Weeks ago I ordered Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti and have been anxiously awaiting it as it has such great reviews over on Amazon, but alas, I am STILL waiting, quite impatiently at that!

I have never had an order from Amazon take quite so long, they have yet to even ship it. Now in fairness to Amazon they do state that it takes 1-3 weeks to ship, but still...okay, I admit, I am very impatient when it comes to such things. I will be sure to share my thoughts when it does arrive though.


Another that got great reviews was Yoga For Stress Relief. I am very glad I checked this one out from the library rather than buying sight unseen. I have mixed reviews of this one.


I will start by saying that I did like very much the idea that there are so many options to choose from. It is set up that you can choose from several routines. Each routine is designed for a number of problems/issues ranging from stomach troubles to back or neck aches. That is a really nice feature!


The talk by the Dali Lama and interview with the instructor were both interesting, but not enough alone to justify the pricey cost of the tape($24.99 OUCH!)

My few complaints, may actually be something that appeals to others, so I can't really say this is a negative review at all, just not my cup of tea!

I felt like the routines were dis-jointed. Just poses without any real flow or sequence. That just doesn't appeal to me at all. There seemed to be such long periods of time getting into each pose and in between poses. I am aware that Yoga is not a fast moving sport by any means(or even a "sport" for that matter!) but it was just too slow to me. I should admit I usually lean towards Power Yoga routines. So while this was a negative for me, it could be a plus for others.

The reviews said this was not a tape for beginners. I disagree. Like any routine, some stretches may be harder to achieve for a beginner, but that can be remedied by props or modifications. I personally felt with the long explanations, time to get into poses, etc..this would be well suited for a beginner.

I should admit, I only tried two of the routines, and had no desire to try anymore, so my review is based on just that. Maybe I missed the really great parts, although I did fast forward and skim alot, to try and get the jest of it.

Personally, I would recommend checking this out from the library before buying. You may find it is just perfect for you, obviously plenty of others on Amazon thought it was great! I am just thankful my library has a great inter-library loan program and I saved myself $24.99!

No comments: