Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mud Pie Anyone?

Remember making mud pie as a child? I sure do. Some of mine actually looked so yummy I wanted to eat them! OF course I never did, my mother surely wouldn't let me!

Can you imagine being so hungry that not only were you tempted to actually eat one, but your mother encouraged you? Perhaps even ate one too?

Well, in Haiti where the food crisis has gotten so bad, they may not quite be eating mud pies, but what they are eating surely isn't much better. Check it out:



Can you imagine? Dirt cookies? This is no joke, and these little children who have to eat these aren't playing house. This is their real life, their daily existence.

What can you do? First be thankful for what you do have, as I am sure no matter how little it is, it is more than these people have. Secondly, perhaps consider doing with just a little less and use the savings and sponsor a child through an organization like Compassion International.

I saw estimates today that 1/3 of the world is in a food crisis and don't have enough to eat. The fact that there are so many literally starving and dying from it, while there are so many who have such an abundance is just beyond my comprehension.

2 comments:

Karen (KayKay) said...

I appreciate so much your passion for this cause. We do sponsor a child through Compassion and it has been a blessing to us. I know that we need to do more and I thank you for the reminder.

Jennifer / jandjsoulmates said...

I can tell you that this DOES happen in Haiti. My own children were forced to eat dirt cookies. In fact, they make them here in their play and it took me awhile to get them to realize they will NEVER have to eat them again. It's truly heartbreaking...