Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Friday, May 8, 2009

Biggest Loser Boot Camp Workout



After doing a variety of Jillian Michaels videos for the last several weeks and getting some amazing results(only 2 lbs lost, but lost 2 inches on hips and an inch and a half on waist, and pants that were tight just weeks ago are loose!) I wanted to add to my workout collection, as I get bored pretty quickly.

I just tried Biggest Loser Boot Camp this morning. I have only recently watched Biggest Loser and only have seen half of two episodes now so I really am not familiar with Jillian or Bob on the show or their workout styles(obviously I am now quite familiar with Jillians) so I didn't know what to expect, but thought it would be similar and on the same level as Jillians videos.

It was is some ways, but in some I was also disappointed. This workout has three levels. It is recommended you start at level 1 for two weeks then move on to level 2 for two more weeks before adding in level 3. It is expected by then you will be doing all three levels as your workout. Seeing how I have been doing Jillians workouts just fine for weeks now I thought I'd do the whole thing today, and I am glad I did. If I had done only level 1, I probably would have given it away or traded on DVD Swap.

The warm up was a little more involved and longer than Jillian's, I think this is a good thing. It really warmed up ALL body parts quite effectively.

The first level didn't even cause me to become the slightest bit out of breath or even break a sweat! It was pretty basic. While this was a negative for me, this would be a plus for someone just moving into this style of workouts, so don't completely brush this one off. The style of workout was a bit similar to Jillian's combining strength training with cardio. Unlike Jillian, most of the time in level 1 only one body part was being focused on. While you may be holding weights while doing a lunge, you weren't moving your arms, combining the two, also increasing the cardio part. There were a few exceptions, but for the most part, you were either working your arms or your legs, but not both. I was somewhat bored and ready to give up on this one and figure I wasted my money(of course it was only 8.99 at Amazon, so not a huge loss)

Then it moved into level 2. This was challenging!! I actually was pouring sweat and got a little breathless. This used weights the whole time, but it was challenging and did utilized both the upper and lower body at the same time. I was bummed this portion didn't last longer, this was by far my favorite part of the workout. Of course I love weights, so that may be why I loved this part so much, but this segment alone, makes this a keeper!

Level three was the final portion before moving into the cool down. This level uses exercise bands. I happened to have some, although mine don't have handles like theirs, but they worked fine. If you don't have bands, don't worry all but the leg presses can be done just as effectively with your hand weights. This portion was okay. To me, it was kind of like the cool down before the cool down. I don't know if that is how they intended it and that is why it is level 3 or not, but as far as difficulty, this is more like level 2 or possibly level 1. Not very challenging.

The cool down was really nice. It used several basic yoga poses. I have always felt yoga is the best way to cool down and help prevent the after workout soreness we all experience. I really liked that he added that for a cool down! I am considering buying his Weight Loss Yoga to add in to my workouts as well.

One thing I've seen mentioned in other reviews is that the Biggest Loser contestants working out are sloppy, not doing the move correctly, and are a bit of a distraction. I have to agree here. Some had terrible form, that went beyond just trying to modify a difficult move, a couple were totally doing their own thing, even after Bob corrected them. If you are unfamiliar with some of the moves and are looking to them for proper form you might be in trouble. Ali was doing them correctly, so you may want to keep your eye on her! Bob did very little of the workout himself, which doesn't bother me as long as someone else is doing it correctly. While I like seeing former contestants working out, I would much prefer one or two people doing it correctly like Jillian has. It is refreshing though to see people of all ages and sizes working out instead of all ready perfect rock hard twenty somethings.

For me, without level 2 this would get 3 out of 5 stars. But because of level 2 I am giving it 4. I wont be doing this as often as my Jillian Michael's tapes, but I will be adding it in for variety.

I do plan on trying some of the other biggest loser workouts to see if they can add something to my workouts and I will share here my thoughts. I also have some of the newer Tae Bo workouts on hold at the library that I will share here as well as I get to try them.

1 comment:

Karen (3rsandahug) said...

Tara - I can't remember if I ever left you a comment after you found my blog post about Haiti some time back. Meant to.... but you know how life can be for a homeschooler! I love how you have been using your blog to share the desperate needs in Haiti. I'm actually going to be able to go to Haiti in June and can't wait to see first-hand what we hear and read so much about.

I saw you're on facebook, but I couldn't link to your profile. I'd love to add you as a friend who shares a heart for Haiti. Feel free to look me up:
3rsandahug@gmail.com.

Karen