Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Friday, December 11, 2009

Eat This!

I have seen and been interested in the Eat This Not That books for some time now, but just never got around to checking them out or ordering them. I recently got four in the series. I have mixed feelings about them, but over all think they are quite good for the average person, especially those who eat a lot of package foods or those who eat out even occasionally.

I was very surprised at the calories, sugar and fat in a lot of the foods, and shocked that two of my favorite restaurants rate among the worst!

For those who already eat a low processed diet of mostly who grains and natural foods, this book may not be for you. But for the average person, I think it is VERY eye opening and educational! I am tempted to order some copies as Christmas gifts for those who I know who enjoy eating out frequently!

Surprising was that even some of the "healthy" and "natural" items are neither!

Disappointing was that this was mostly about packaged and processed foods, which I don't eat much of, so the information wasn't extremely helpful to me, although I still did learn some things that I think I will benefit from.

Also disappointing was that I ordered four of these as part of a "deal" from a publishing company, and the information is repeated in all four books. There is a little new or different information in each, but not enough to justify having all four in my opinion.

For those who don't eat out often, I recommend the Supermarket Survival Guide. For those who eat out alot I'd recommend the Restaurant Survival Guide, for those who are still eating alot of processed and packaged food I'd start with the original guide.

Each contains interesting information on labels, what food manufactures don't want you to know, lots of information on a favorite subject of mine; CORN SYRUP!! If nothing else, these are fun just to go through and look at the recommended swaps and compare to what you're eating now. While I prefer food with alot less packaging than the swaps given, this is a lot more realistic for the average person, then just telling them to give up their Snickers Bar and eat raisins instead. These books give you the better choice while not always truly the most healthful. Kind of the lesser of two evils, but I do feel while not ideal, this is what will work for the average person trying to eat better but not quite ready to go the whole grain, natural, organic way just yet.

No comments: