Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Monday, December 14, 2009

Rainy Day Fun With Origami

This weekend someone in our homeschool group had arranged an Origami Workshop at our local library. We had just got done reading a book; Sadako and the 1000 Paper Cranes which involved Origami so we thought it sounded like fun.


I foolishly thought our master pieces would look like the stunning Origami I had found searching the web:

You can imagine my disappointment when my first attempts looked more like this:


Needless to say I came home a bit disappointed and thinking the whole idea was not a good one! Well, we had a whole long, wet , cold weekend and as boredom sat in, the boys and I began to fold paper again. While still not quite the caliber of the pieces of art I envisioned in my mind, I think they are improving:


There are some(almost) recognizable items, a stocking, candy cane, cup(yellow) box(blue), hat(purple), and almost a boat(other purple)

Turned out we all had fun, and everyone from the oldest to the youngest got in on the fun. I think my husband was the only one who didn't join in.

With colder weather upon us and Christmas Vacation right around the corner, you too, might want to consider some Origami fun. Your library should have books available, and I found a couple of neat websites that have printable diagrams as well as animation showing the folds, so even those with butterfingers like me can at least do some simple projects.

Warning! It is addictive!

HERE's the fun website, and HERE is where I order my paper from. Order lots as I thought 200 sheets would last weeks, and it lasted the weekend! Even better, just cut some squares from ordinary paper to practice with and save the Origami paper for when your projects actually start to look like something. Although it just seems more fun with the special colored paper, but the choice is yours.

No comments: