Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Monday, February 8, 2010

Zip It!!

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.~George Washington


I have learned this lesson the hard way the last few days. I wont go into details here, let me just say I trusted the wrong person with the wrong information and it could come back to haunt me legally and emotionally.


It never ceases to amaze me that women in particular feel like they have to share everything with new friends even before they know them very well. We just seem so open, at our own undoing sometimes.


I am pretty open, and don't keep too many dark secrets in my closet. Not that I don't have a jaded past or anything, I just pretty much lay it out there for all to see with a take it or leave it attitude.


This circumstance is a bit different as I trusted someone I should have known better to just because of her position in the relationship, with information that wasn't about me in particular. Unfortunately this could come back to hurt me and someone rather close to me.


This was a relationship that would have been better off left at a superficial and "courteous" level, yet that pesky woman in me opened up and let this person in closer than she had earned. A mistake I wont soon repeat anytime again in the near future.


At least I hope not. What is it about us women that do such foolish things in relationships? I wont even use the word friendships, as a friendship is something that takes time and trust to develop whereas a relationship is something we immediately have with any person placed in our lives for whatever purpose. It seems we woman sometimes have a hard time distinguishing the difference. I am sure there are men who do the same, but not as many. Men are naturally a bit more guarded generally speaking.


Women on the other hand, want to share EVERYTHING and often within the first ten minutes of meeting someone! I can't tell you how many times I've been at social events, even church and met a new person(a woman!) and been told their whole life story and that of everyone else in their life within minutes, sometimes before even getting their name!
I am usually much more guarded than that, but guilty of telling more than most want to know myself.


I love being a woman for the most part. I love wearing pretty dresses, painting my toe nails hot pink and being a mommy, but PMS and this terrible fault most of us seem to suffer from, makes me really hate it sometimes......

No comments: