Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Haiti, Hurricanes, and the Navy

I've been prayerfully trying to keep up to date with Hurricane Tomas and the effects it will have on Haiti. This poor country has already endured so much and I can't help but wonder how much more they CAN endure.

Two of my Compassion Sponsored children are in Haiti and both have suffered losses in the quake, with one still remaining homeless with her family. How is she suppose to protect herself from the hurricane while living in a tent? Even once the hurricane passes, there is still landslides and other things to worry about.

I've been trying to keep up with what's going on with updates on my Facebook page from Food for the Poor and Compassion, both places that do lots of work in Haiti. Imagine my great surprise tonite to see this update from the Navy:

U.S. Navy PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (Nov. 6, 2010) Capt. Thomas Negus, right, commodore of Continuing Promise 2010, is briefed by UN officials on initial damage assessments after Hurricane Tomas impacted Haiti. Negus is commanding the humanitarian mission aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), which was diverted fr...om a scheduled Continuing Promise port visit in Suriname to assist Haiti. Air assets aboard Iwo Jima conducted aerial damage assessments as part of U.S. support to the government of Haiti in the aftermath of Tomas. (U.S. Navy photo by Lt. Jacqui Barker/Released) (CM)



This is such good news to me, and makes me that much more proud of my son and his choice to serve in the Navy. No, he's not on this ship, he is on a base here in CA for now, but still as a mother with a son serving and with children I care about dearly in Haiti, this just warms my heart.

GO NAVY!!!!

No comments: