Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Saturday, November 6, 2010

It Worked!!

The last time I posted, it was about a reoccurring dream I keep having about flying to Haiti, going to sleep in Haiti, yet waking up in Africa. I assumed maybe it was a hint to write the girls I sponsor in each country. I did write them all, and indeed the dreams have stopped.

Not only that, but I've been blessed twice this week with letters and photos from some of the girls. First yesterday, I got updated, new photos of Ismaline. She is the youngest and most recent of the girls we sponsored. I SO want to share them here, but my scanner is not working. I will figure something out soon. She is such a beautiful child!

Then today I got yet another letter from Betty. She is the first child we chose to sponsor two and a half years ago. She had been concerned about a drought in her country(Uganda) last I had heard from her, and this time she was so positive and hopeful and thankful. She still had plenty to eat and drink this year even though they were dealing with a terrible drought. For the first time she is doing really well with school and things just generally seem to be going well for her. It is such good news!

I can't say enough times(cause I know I say it a lot here!) but I am the one truly blessed by sponsoring these girls. I am sure our sponsorship helps them and betters their lives just a bit, but I am the one blessed to get to be a part of that and to know them and learn from their hope and faith-fullness. It has opened my eyes to the needs of those in faraway places we may not often otherwise think of. It has improved our school studies as my children are now aware of places they may not otherwise be. They learn so much, and their geography skills are quite impressive. It has opened their hearts to the needs of others, not only in faraway places like Africa but even in their own neighborhood. It has helped them(and me) to be more compassionate overall.

It certainly has taught us to be thankful for what we do have even when there are times we may feel like we are struggling. It has encouraged us to live more simply so that we have more to share with those who have even less than we do.

With the holiday season upon us all, I can't help but think what a wonderful gift the gift of COMPASSION could be. Maybe if each family member agreed to one less gift each under the tree this year that money could be used to sponsor a child? Talk about a gift that keeps on giving!

No comments: