Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Friday, January 14, 2011

Doesn't Everyone?

We just love it when our son brings home fellow Sailors or Marines on his visits home. I know lots of these guys are far from home and haven't had a good home cooked meal for ages. Many just want to be around a family for a few days, even if it isn't their own. I feel like it's just one small way to say "thanks" to them for serving our country. I also hope deep down inside that when it is my son far away from home someone will return the favor and perhaps offer him a home cooked meal or a little hospitality.

This last fellow stayed with us a few days and like most of the Service Men we've had the pleasure of offering hospitality to he was very polite and thanked us at each meal. He did though at one point ask me, "Do you always cook all of your food from scratch?" I guess to him it seemed odd. I am not sure what he is used to, but to him it seemed quite odd that anyone still did things the "old fashioned" way.

Cooking from scratch is really all I've ever done. First in our early years of marriage it was out of necessity as that is all we could afford, after all it is much more less expensive than pre-packaged meals or take out. Now, even though we still do all we can to save money it is also just a matter of preference. I KNOW what is in the food I cook. I also know what's NOT in there, like tons of preservatives and chemicals I can't pronounce. Also, I get a certain enjoyment and pleasure from cooking my family's food.

Really, I always just thought I was in the majority in preparing my own food and those who bought pre-packaged items or ordered out a lot were in the minority. But, I am finding that is not the case. Even one of my husbands uncles recently asked if I ever got "tired" of cooking all of our food from scratch. Well, no, not really.

Even those who cook or prepare a lot of their own food use a lot of packaged items in doing so. I couldn't help but giggle once when shopping and I heard a young daughter ask her mom if she could get a certain salad dressing and her mom said, "No, we're going to make homemade," as she reached for the Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix. Don't get me wrong, I happen to love that stuff! But it's not quite "homemade" though it is a step in the right direction I suppose.

I realize that I am blessed that I can stay home and teach my children at home, clean my own home and prepare my family's meals. Not every woman has that luxury and I surely don't judge those who are unable to do the same. I just find it odd, that so many find it so weird that I not only do these things but ENJOY it. The younger generation I can understand, as there does seem to be less and less stay at home moms, but I am finding many even in the older generation who find this odd.

I think it's kind of sad that many have never had the pleasure of having homemade bread with their dinner or a home baked apple pie for dessert. I find it even more sad that so many seem to view a woman who still enjoys such pleasures as odd or even enslaved.

No comments: