Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Visits

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Avoiding Toxic Food Substances

So, now that I have pretty much figured out that I have an obvious sensitivity not only to MSG and Aspartame as I have been sharing here over the past couple of weeks, but as I've shared in the past a sensitivity to High Fructose Corn Syrup, the hard part is figuring out how to avoid these substances, not to mention GMO's. It can be overwhelming.

The first and easiest way to avoid these items in your food is to avoid packaged and processed food. An overwhelming majority of these kinds of food will contain one or more of these substances. If you stick to fresh produce, meats and whole grains you can avoid many of these and by sticking to organics of these items you can avoid most GMO's as well.

I know organics can seem significantly more expensive, but by cutting back on the processed and packaged food, you can apply the saved money there to organically or naturally grown produce without too big a hit in your budget.

Another option is to grow as much as your produce as you can. What if you live in an apartment or have no property to grow on? No problem, many foods can be grown in containers! While I am blessed to live on several acres, between rabbits, gophers and moles not to mention sandy soil I have never been able to grow in the ground. But, I have been able to grow tomatoes, zucchini , yellow squash, strawberries, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, garlic, several varieties of herbs, peas, peppers and more all in containers!

Almost anything can be used as a container. For bigger plants we use wine barrels, but we also use gallon and five gallon buckets, kitty litter buckets(ones the fresh litter comes in) old animal water buckets and more. Just today I saw a clever idea that would work well for herbs and smaller plants; 2 liter soda bottles, hanging up side-down with the bottom end up and cut off! I am going to copy this idea myself as I still have more herbs I wanted to plant but ran out of containers. Those pests I am battling will have a hard time getting to hanging containers too!

If you must buy packaged foods try your best to stick to organics and be sure to take along a list of the hidden names of MSG. Unless you stick to a totally pure natural, fresh food diet you're not going to totally be able to avoid these substances, but you can do your best to avoid them as much as possible.

I have also discovered for myself once I cleansed my body of all the toxins I was continuously taking in I have been able to add back in my health shake or protein shake once a day with no obvious side effects so far. I think for me, it was that I was consuming SO many items that had these substances on a daily basis I reached toxic levels. I had learned in the past with my corn syrup issues the same thing. Once I had gone a long time without any I could occasionally have some with no ill effects, but if I had it more than a few days in a row I would have symptoms again.

While I personally feel it's best to avoid these substances as much as possible, my point is that each of our bodies are different and each of us may be able to tolerate different levels of these substances and like all things in life, moderation is the key. While I want to try my best to attain optimum health, I also don't want to be overly neurotic about my food.

I will share some photos of my container gardens past and present later and see if I can find those hanging soda bottles to share with you along with a few other ideas.

No comments: